12-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #43
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Here in TX, I would not turn on stop/start in the summer when its 100+ degrees outside.

So I hope future models come up with A/C that is not belt driven.
Stop/start already accounts for A/C usage, so you don't need to worry about it. While I haven't tested in those temps, I know I've had it restart in the summer as soon as the car starts warming up, and I suspect (owner's manual may say for sure), if the temp is high enough it won't even stop. I know if it's cold enough (< 38F) it won't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Tried it the other day again and was horrible. Light turned green and had to wait for the fucking engine to re-start! stupid with dct.
Do you have 6MT or DCT? I agree for 6MT it's more of a pain, but with DCT, once you see the light is ready to change, just take your foot off the brake. The car won't start moving and it will restart. Also, practically all of my restarts using stop/start have been really fast. Even when I don't preanticipate (which I usually do), it starts fast enough that I really don't feel like I'm holding things up.

I guess I feel like the resident stop/start apologist. I find it works rather well with DCT, and it does save some gas. YMMV.