Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Certainly not self defeating. Main bearings are still a threat.

I'd much rather play everything safe and replace the bearings if it meant I had a better chance of not having to worry about dealing with a warranty company over the major stress of an engine failure. IMO it's foolish and wasteful to forego a little now, and suffer a lot later. Consider also, that if warranty companies continue to see an increase on these cars failing, they will determine they're not worth covering and either skyrocket the rates, or drop them all together.

Plus if I have the option of keeping the original engine, I'd much rather do that- especially if you're ever going to be selling the car. Explaining an engine replacement to a buyer hurts resale-ability

(Disclaimer: I don't pay for warranties on my cars since I run a shop and do everything myself)
IF you have the bearings done yourself, and then claim main bearing failure under warranty, they warranty claim will be denied. The warranty company will blame the failure on incorrect installation by the shop, regardless of how much time has passed. I've seen it. Literally.
Rajmun340413.00
NoHedge67.50