View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I instructed with BMW CCA at Hallett last weekend. Great event and track, BTW! Every novice driver had an instructor, and the intermediate group had 1:3 ratio.

I thought it worked out very well for the novice group. Good prep meeting that included instructors was key. Passing was emphasized. The lead instructors control passing and speed so we rarely experienced trains. The key is to have the student stay pretty close - two to four car lengths. The student helps dictate speed with their distance. As others have mentioned, debriefing after each session is critical, but I always do this anyway. By mid-day Sunday, my student was driving as smoothly and quickly as he would have if I was riding right seat - maybe faster. I think lead/follow is more of a challenge with multiple drivers at varying levels in intermediate, but you can start to have them lead.

Next event at MSR Cresson in November so come on out!
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0