GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Brake Energy Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Check the initial M3 press release. It is in there. Also, do a search on google. Plenty of info.
Either the international BMW site or the USA one had a video of BER.
Read this statement from the press release carefully...

"New engine management and Brake Energy Regeneration.
The electronic management of the V8 power unit coordinating all engine functions with optimum efficiency and precision, is yet another new development. A further point is that the control unit masterminds all the M-specific functions of the clutch, transmission, steering, and brakes.

Intelligent energy management featuring Brake Energy Regeneration likewise serves to further enhance the efficiency of the V8 power unit in the new BMW M3. In this case the power required for the on-board network is generated specifically during overrun and during application of the brakes, serving to charge the car’s battery at exactly the right time without taking up any of the energy contained in the car’s fuel. As long as the engine is “pulling” the car, therefore, the alternator generally remains disengaged. Apart from particularly efficient generation of electric power, this also serves to provide more drive power and traction for supreme acceleration at all times."

What it says to me is exactly as I stated previously: the alternator engages under no-load conditions only. Yes, this improves efficiency, but in no way it it "regeneration". I'm not an engineer, but I know enough engineering to read this one.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0