View Single Post
      07-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
My concern is the 12:1. I know static compression is lower at 6k elevation, but running 10+ psi on the 12:1 block would throw alot of stress on her, even if the uncorrected numbers are still lower then 625 guys at sea level. If I am wrong about this, and I can infact safely push her to 550 uncorrected then I would love to. Any engineers/tuners care to chime in here????
Just because the car makes power and has AFR's that are ok the fact is that our software has different ignition mapping that adds safety as you increase boost. Your dynamic CR will be lower at altitude but that does not mean you can simply add as much boost as you want and the motor will be safe. As you increase boost you often need to lower your timing and this is one of the things we do in our higher HP kits for proper safety margin. Without knowing exactly what your dynamic CR is at your altitude there is no way for you to know if the fuel you are running has high enough octane, if the software you are running has proper timing or if the motor is being exposed to CR levels that are unsafe. The reality is you might be safe but you also might be sitting on a ticking time bomb.

By simply lowering the diameter of the SC pulley to increase boost you have reduced the traction of the belt which will eventually cause the belt to slip. This is often the case over time as the belt stretches from wear. On the VT2-650 kit which runs 8 psi we designed a custom crank pulley so that a larger diameter pulley can be used on the SC allowing for proper belt drive traction.

We have had several customers over the years modify our kits to add more boost than the kit was intended to run and more than the motor can safely handle. Software and motor safety in almost all of these cases was overlooked as most do not feel it is important as long as the car is making power. While the initial results were positive and the cars made a lot more power the end results often ended in damaged motors. I will tell you the same thing I tell every customer who wants to modify our kits and experiment with their motors. Make sure you have enough money to buy a new motor if things go wrong. If you do and putting a new motor in your car is not a big deal for you then do what you want.
Appreciate 0