Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Thanks for sharing this Mike! Great work.

Relative to that stock dyno of about 385whp, the curves and delta of the bolts ons and your tune look spot on compared to some of the other top tunes!

I really like the midrange torque you were able to achieve. That has got to be a blast on the streets.

Looking at your results, it looks like at max values, you were able to achieve +13.674whp!! Well done!! Most of gains start to happen after 5000RPM which, as we all know, is where all the fun happens

Just a few questions:

1) In your original post, you said that most stock cars dyno around 365whp on that DynaPack. That Microsoft E9X M3 put down nearly 385whp. Does this support once again that newer E9X M3s are putting down more power stock with latest software from BMW?

2) I noticed that there is a dip in the lower powerband which seems to be infamous of the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust. A lot of tuners have been able to remedy that with their tunes, is that something you plan on doing or was that just a dyno anomaly?

3) Would you be able to dyno your car on a DynoJet for better comparison? A lot of people say that DynaPacks read extremely optimistic relative to the average DynoJet. I think it would be very beneficial to see comparisons from you considering that you provide a lot of great information.

Thanks once again for sharing the whole workflow on the dyno! It was fun to read.
Thanks for your questions - I have always appreciated your thoroughness.

1. I am going simply based on what the owner Shawn Church told me. He told me that stock M3's normally put down around 365. The Microsoft M3 put down 375 I believe, but I have not looked closely at the graph to see where that car peeked. I just included it for general illustration purposes. I wouldn't say that it's a matter of the new M3's putting down more power, maybe more of a factor of extremely old software revisions such as 60E being put up against 231E. Or it could be hardware related, such as aged spark plugs or oxygen sensors coupled with old software that may have a cumulative effect. I have driven at least twenty 2012 M3's, and they feel the same as my car (and have that new car smell!).

2. No tuner is going to be able to remedy this 100% completely. However, there are changes I make to make it a hell of a lot better. I have had long conversations with Sal about this. When you look at the factory vanos mapping, it has some interesting changes in stock form in the exact akra dip area. The scaling on the map is also different there as well. It's almost as if the factory was trying to tune out some sort of engine resonance issue and that the Akra just exacerbates it. My test files for the dyno did not contain any changes below 3,000 RPM as I was trying to go for midrange torque and top end power. However, my standard tunes do have changes in all areas. I was on a pretty heavy time constraint there. Having only an hour to flash and tune the file between runs was certainly not enough. I think if I had more time that I could have achieved higher gains. This was just a 'quick test'.

3. I have dynoed on dynojets before. This was my first time on a Dynapack and I was surprised to see the numbers. I am no expert on dyno's themselves, but theoretically not having the wheels and tires mounted to the hubs could signify less loss. Someone with more knowledge on dyno's themselves and the differences might be a better resource for this. I only know the tuning and programming stuff .

Regardless, here is a dyno from a dynojet last year (before and after tune):
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0