View Single Post
      01-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
edsonreds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeath View Post
Oh missed the rattle post, no rattles I can tell so far, all is good, also fixed some stuff and added goodies while doing it all (dash cam hard wiring and android pc wiring)

The shop was extremely surprised I did it, it's really not really hard overall, just time consuming and you have to be meticulous. I had sore muscles after from being in all the different positions you get in figuring things out. Mine was a bit harder because of the aftermarket backup camera system and the built in radar system, made things tight wiring wise and under driver side panel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeath View Post
Oh missed the rattle post, no rattles I can tell so far, all is good, also fixed some stuff and added goodies while doing it all (dash cam hard wiring and android pc wiring)

The shop was extremely surprised I did it, it's really not really hard overall, just time consuming and you have to be meticulous. I had sore muscles after from being in all the different positions you get in figuring things out. Mine was a bit harder because of the aftermarket backup camera system and the built in radar system, made things tight wiring wise and under driver side panel
Hi TheHeath,

I am seriously planning on undertaking this DIY. I have a 2011 E92 M3 and the dealer has diagnosed it a "evaporator leak". I have the BMW workshop manual and so far I gathered all the instructions to take the dashboard out. This seems a long but easy procedure. Nonetheless, there no indication in the manual about how to change the evaporator. It is surprising.

I read your 2015 post and I was wondering if you could recall in general terms what other stuff I am missing. I will mention some of them:

1. Take out the steering column. I found the manual instructions and it seems to imply that It can be done without taking out the airbag and the steering wheel.
2. Should I drain the coolant and the A/C gas (what remains of it) before anything else?
3. Should I unscrew the 2 bolts on the expansion valve or just the the one that is attached to the evaporator?
4. Is it necessary to disconnect the heater core?
5. When comes the time to take out the intake plenum? What I must accomplish in doing that?
6. What is in the way of removing the instrument cluster/dash support out once I take the dashboard out?

All the best.
Appreciate 0