08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #255
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to show everyone the valves that came out of my car..

Still no change and everything running strong:
Mike,

Just FYI my day job is as a Lead Engineer of Global Valve Technology. I know valves. Check valves are on of my specialties.

I know we chatted aboutt his a few months back right before you were taking it in.

Just looking at those pictures I would say there is nothing wrong with those. They have a little white ball in the center? The check as it were. Thats PTFE which is resilient stuff and it can deform to make a seal pretty easy thats why they use it. I thought you said they were replacing VANOS units? I suppose if they weren't checking off and allowing oil to flow back then it cold cause a lack of oil pressure in certain places. However without some kind of pressure being driven behind them then I doubt those check valves will stay checked. The pressure will find a path to relieve somewhere.

My car has the same noise I am pretty sure. The fact that it goes away once pressure has built is pretty telling. I really doubt its anything to worry about long term. buti guess we will have to revisit it at 100,000 miles

Peter M.
Appreciate 0