02-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #17
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Taipei has some awesome food - definitely check out Raohe Night market if you're there during evening hours; cheap food, but lots of good interesting things to try (and several to avoid, haha)!

We visited an Elephant sanctuary from Koh Lanta, but we just booked a day trip through our hotel while we were there; you should be able to book something like that during arrival.

You mentioned being a prime only guy, but I've really loved my 16-35/4L for traveling with a wide angle; it's really sharp for a zoom, lightweight, and the IS is pretty awesome. I generally go for versatility when traveling light over pure prime sharpness, as there's less chance of missing a shot if you can't adjust your perspective without moving.
Hey thanks for the tips! I will definitely try to check out that night market. And I didn't know Koh Lanta had an elephant sanctuary - we were trying to decide between Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta, but you might have just decided for us

I did consider zooms to cover my wide-angle and telephoto focal lengths. Sometimes going all primes is impractical when you want to cover a large variety of scenes. I used to have a 17-40mm f/4 that I used exclusively for automotive and landscape photography, but unfortunately sold that off when I thought I was going to leave DSLRs for good. I may look into it for the future but funds are low.

Thanks to all your guys' advice, I decided to pick up a 3rd lens for my trip: the Canon 24mm f/2.8 EF. It's an older lens and only cost me $120 on eBay, so if I decide it's not for me after the trip it should be relatively easy to resell. I hope this focal length will satisfy any landscape and architecture needs. I could have gone wider but I generally don't like the stretched wide-angle look when you go < 20mm.
Appreciate 0