View Single Post
      11-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #53
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I just had the exact same issue installing PFC '08 pads in my new set of Stoptech ST-40 front calipers. I had to tap each pad into its slot with a rubber mallet (more than a few taps). The brakes seem to be working fine but I was also nervous that this might cause a pad to get stuck in the caliper and not engage the rotor with as much force as it's supposed to. I am all for tight tolerances but this is ridiculous. I can't place all of the blame on Stoptech, though I wish they had designed these with a bit more clearance.

Interestingly 3/4 of the Stoptech street pads I had in came out just fine but one took quite a bit of effort to get out. I am now realizing that it might be a nightmare getting the PFC 08's back out since they are so tightly clamped into the pad slots. I guess I can always take the calipers off but that seems like a lot of effort on my part for a kit I purchased to make pad swaps easier!! <frustration!>

I guess once I get these out I will dremel the paint off each side of the backing plates and see if that helps.

Does anyone think this might pose a dangerous situation where the pads might get stuck on brake application? The pads are tighter than I would like but they are performing fine on the street in both light and hard brake applications.

BTW, I am heading to the track for the first time in this car next weekend so need to consider my options quickly, any advice is appreciated.