View Single Post
      03-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #478
dgb2
Rep
Drives: GLI

To the OP:
This reminds me of a similar situation that took place on the VWVortex forums a bit ago. I can't remember the dealership (I think it was in Atlanta), but they had screwed him on some repairs or lemonlaw IIRC. He did the same thing, posting his experiences on the VW forums and brewing up a storm. In his case VW-NA was able to help if my memory serves me right.

The one thing I want to add is that you should be careful with what you say, make sure you keep this fiasco under control. In the VW case, the dealer sued the customer for slander/libel (can't remember which is right, biz-law was a long time ago!) as a result of all the negative publicity they received. In the end the customer won, and did not pay court/lawyer fees, but it was a long and painful process that could have been avoided. Fil's email regarding threats from others reminded me of the VWVortex case and had me a bit scared. Just be careful.

Finally, I think some of the posters bringing up legal loopholes (credible or not) to get the dealer out of trouble are missing the big picture. At the end of the day the dealer will be out ~8k if they sell the car to OP. If they DON'T sell the car, how many local enthusiasts do you think will skip Husker when they buy their M3/5/6? I see Husker having three options:
1- Fight the OP, gain bad publicity, and lose sales. I think it's safe to say they will lose at least 1 sale if they choose this path, there goes their 8K, and they lose even more with every other sale they lose as this story snowballs.
2- Admit they were wrong, sell the car at 60K. They lose 8K, but this thing goes away and they salvage most of their reputation. Next M3 they sell they've broken even, no big deal.
3- Probably the wise business decision- admit they're in the wrong and sweeten the deal. Sell the car at 60K, but give the OP a choice of color, include some free extras, hell Fil could spare some free hair gel. Something to show they realize they were wrong, in this case I think they could even benefit from the publicity. If I owned Husker, I'd be on the phone with Dooma first thing monday, promising a Silver (as he wanted) M3 in Cali with a free fleece for $60K if he could just post the positive outcome on this board and autoblog. I would lose something on this sale, but I might convince a few people to come my way down the line and use this fiasco to garner some good publicity.
Appreciate 0