09-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
T7 is OK as long as you don't lift. If you lift, you will hit something on the outside of the track. A tree, an old tire or maybe even a washer! If the backend steps out there's room to get 2 feet in and get the car stopped.

T3 is a bad place. There's the curbs on the outside which will probably tear up a wheel or suspension. And then there's a ditch on the inside where you can launch your car.

Then going off on the outside if T12 can be bad.

But the one that I've seen tear up the most cars is T15.
I lifted in T7 in Green my first event ever and lifted a bit once my first time in Blue and didn't have an issue either time, but I also know that's because I wasn't going very fast in Green, and in Blue if I'd lifted completely I probably would have had a real problem. I've gone off the outside of T3 running CCW a couple times (both times because I didn't brake enough and pushed wide) and my car got out both times without any damage whatsoever, but I stayed close to the track. Still, it is VERY bumpy out there and if you haven't scraped enough speed by the time you reach the paved service road that will be a nasty transition for your car. Never been off around 12, but I've seen people push off from going too fast through there and it doesn't seem too bad, at least as long as you don't stray too far.

Funny story about T15: My instructor was out there once and messed up the T13-14 complex. He found himself about to go off the outside of T15 backwards and knew that was a nasty place to be, and he also figured that going 2 feet in wouldn't save him -- so instead he just floored his throttle and put up an ENORMOUS cloud of tire smoke since his rear tires were turning forward while his car was still moving backwards (I guess his car was doing the moonwalk ), and he avoided going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper1 View Post
Gosh, I was looking forward to it until reading this! Now I am scared, lol
You should still look forward to it. Just approach it with the proper respect and dial it back for the first few sessions or even the entire first day. You can build confidence at TWS quickly though, so you should be having fun in no time.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0