07-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I did this a few weeks ago...So, there may be a few omissions in my procedure. I am in no way an expert nor a mechanic. Do this procedure at your own risk...

My headlights had been taking on some moisture, and I didn't think much of it. That is until a huge rainstorm hit when I drove around all day. I got a low beam malfunction and needed to swap out a HID ballast. How did I figure it was the ballast? I swapped the ballasts from driver and passenger side and the malfunction moved with the faulty ballast (hence, it was not the bulb)

I ordered a ballast from ECS Tuning (250$USD) and as you'll see from the picture, it's identical to the OEM (dealership wanted 850$CDN) that was in there... Also, I re-sealed my headlights with silicone and I haven't had moisture since...

To the procedure...

Time required for disassembly and reassembly: 1.5 hours taking my time
Time required for fixing headlights: on top of 1.5 hours

Tools needed:

Jack
8mm and 10mm socket and socket wrench
#20, #25 and #30 TORX screwdrivers
Stand for bumper

Steps:

1. Jack the front end of the car. Either one side at a time or both. I jacked the car from the centre jack point behind the oil pan and then used some jack stands to hold it there.

2. Remove front tires. Enough said.

3. Remove front wheel liners. There are about 10 or 12 plastic bolts to remove. Most are 8mm plastic bolts, but some at 10mm. There are bolts to remove at the bottom of the liner, next to the wheel arch, at the top of the liner, and behind the wheel assembly. You can see most of them from the pictures below, and you will easily be able to find one that you've missed as you start pulling the wheel liner... The liner comes out easily. The pictures are from the driver's side, and the procedure is pretty much identical on the passenger side.
Attached Images