05-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #24
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Well....They wouldn't be the first to reuse Torque To Yield bolts. Plenty of others have done it. Myself included before I knew any better. Its not that they'll fail catastrophically and snap in two while the engine is running. The issue with reusing TTY bolts in any application is that once they are torqued they yield certain and repeatable characteristics, i.e. clamp force, bore diameter, etc. Once they have been torqued and you follow the same installation procedures for subsequent fastening you'll end up with skewed results. Bore diameters won't be the same, etc. So yes, they may work in a practical sense but since your final dimensions may be slightly different, you may end up with only 50k on a set of replacement bearings instead of 70k. The shop is probably counting on it being "someone else's problem" by then.
Love it, an attitude to learn new things and understanding of new technologies.
"Done it this way since start, nope haven't heard about non stretch, and btw don't teach me my job your only a customer", makes me just nervous about capabilities, as things do tend to develop.
One of my brothers in law owns a Jaguar shop, granted with focus on the good old 50s-60s cars, he can't stop joking about my maintenance view and oil intervals etc, " sure you have replaced the air in your tires lately?" Haha, love the guy but would not let him near my M3, stuck in old times.
Appreciate 1