07-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
This is a bigger deal than you might think, and probably contributing significantly to the issues you're feeling. Braking happens at the highest speeds so aero is super important. Taking weight out of the car relatively increases the aerodynamic contribution to the tire contact patch (car weighs less, downforce stays the same). The GT4 front lip is plenty big enough to have some aero effect. If it's feasible to remove, try a session without it.

I've had issues with unusual pad wear in floating calipers like the stock M3, you end up with a pad that's worn unevenly and end up with a reduced surface area that's actually contacting the rotor. Have you tried swapping front pads to a brand new set? If that causes the balance to change significantly, this could be the cause. A front BBK really helps reduce this since the caliper can't twist like the floating stock setup.

How did you determine your initial damper settings? Did KW send some recommendations/dynos? I think you're on the higher end of spring rates without aero, but if the plan is to add some later I wouldn't bother with changing anything. If nothing above helps with braking stability, try reducing rear low speed rebound and adding front low speed compression. It will have other effects on handling, of course, but it will be a good starting point to tell you if the dampers are the root cause.
Thanks for your input. You make some interesting points.

Firstly, I haven’t tried swapping the pads out for a new set, they seem to be wearing fairly evenly, but I will take them out to take a look to see what’s happening.

Unfortunately the splitter isn’t easily removable - it also provides the brake ducking so removing it to try a few sessions without it isn’t that simple.

Yes, KW did provide both dynos and starting damper settings. The springs rates that were chosen were determined with the intention on running aero on the car, so currently without full aero this could be playing a part too.
Appreciate 0