03-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #1311
bmw-m6
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
Ken:

I have been watching this develop since your first post this past weekend. As a BMW car fan, a E92 M3 owner, and as a lawyer, I am fascinated by this story and respect your resolve. The negative PR for this dealership--especially on the internet--is truly astonishing.

While I don't agree with their conduct--in fact I am adamantly opposed to dealerships that behave in this manner--I am not surprised the dealership tried to hardball you at the outset. What astonishes me, however, is when the pr machine started to get rolling, the dealership failed to realize how much positive publicity it could have generated by simply honoring the deal. They simply could not have gotten more positive pr for their buck than if they had just agreed to eat the $6,000 and sell you the car at the final auction price.

Your story, combined with reading many of the other postings, including a posting that included a link to the Edmunds article called Confessions of a Car Salesman http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html has helped expose the systemic nature of the shady (and often illegal) business practices in which the car dealers engage.

As many others have said, car dealerships, like any other business, are entitled to make a profit, but the way in which they make their profit is so inherently dishonest that it is truly offensive (yes, this is coming from a lawyer--no flames, please). Anyway, good luck and continue to let your legal counsel work for your interests. I know California has an unfair business practices law that should allow you to recover attorneys fees from the dealership when you win. I am not sure in what state the litigation will take place, but hopefully you will get your car and end up recovering any damages and attorneys' fees from what certainly appears to be an unscrupulous dealer.
couldn't agree more here, the methods make the difference.

this is ridiculous that BMW-North America isn't doing anything (or at least it seems that way). shouldn't they have given you some sort of letter correspondence of a general letter ?

me and my colleagues/classmates have already begun associating BMWNA of allowing and tolerating such unethcial and illegal tactics all for profit, with NO disregard for customers who pledge their loyalty with their hard-earned money. i'm sure lexus and other manufacturers would appreciate the extra business from ex-bmw owners.

ebay is a risk, sometimes you win/sometimes you lose (getting outbid at the last minute). they took the risk, and they should live with it. i hope the legal notice mentioned anything with anguish,stress/legal fees that Ken can recouperate.

this reminds me of the dumb judge from washDC who thought he could muscle a dryer cleaner, but instead got disbarred and bankrupt.
Appreciate 0