Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
so getting him a 300hp sports car is safer? They have powerful motors but are heavy as all hell so that means they're slow. Train suspension? What does that even mean? Most of them are independent on all four corners, if not they have independent front and a live rear axle with leaf springs or coils.
SUVs aren't safe... They are top heavy and usually have brakes too small for the size of the vehicle. More deaths per crash in SUVs than in compacts, a toyota camry or whatever is much safer than a X3 or alike.

I must say however that if you buy your child an expensive car for his first car he will never respect cars... He'll take it for granted because you just through it at him, and he'll either never have any ambition to earn a nicer car, or he'll poorly budget his money later in life to afford what you gave him when he really can't buy it at all.

Honestly I don't think any kid should ever be given a first car. I'd keep track of all the time the child did chores from the age of 10-16 and then on his 16th birthday, give him the money (at minimum wage) for the hours he had worked to purchase whatever he wanted assuming it was reasonably safe.
Appreciate 0