View Single Post
      04-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #11742
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
What are most guys finding to be the ideal spring rates for a mixed use car?

My car is a mostly street car (100% right now but would like to do some HPDE in the near future), running Michelin cup2s and would likely stay on this kind of tire for the foreseeable future. It is a weekend toy only though so I don't need something daily comfort compliant either. I've always catered towards what the track guys find ideal and then back off just a hair.

Without any real world experience my reading/gut feeling say go 500/550 front, 800 rear.

Car currently has Bilstein B16 damptronic which are based around 514/799 rates but it's a progressive spring so I know they ride/behave like they are just a little softer than that. All the comfort I could ask for on normal but even on sport+ (or whatever you call it) they just aren't quite as firm as I'd like. Maybe that's just how this car feels, maybe I want more rate. Not sure if anyone has ever attempted to convert those over to linear springs either and see how they do.

I know what each person finds acceptable in terms of NVH is different, I'm probably on the more extreme end of what I find tolerable. I'll also add the car has basically the entire SPL arm catalog, Solid diff and subframe mounts, Vibratechnic engine mounts, and Group-n trans mounts. It's not really any worse in the NVH department than the S2000s I've been driving for the last 10+ years. In fact given how solid everything is I'm surprised it's not far worse in the NVH department. That same list of mods on a S2000 and I'd probably hate the car.
As you likely already know shocks make a significant difference in the right quality.

I am running 600/900 springs with MCS 3-way adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs and the car rides nicely when I turn the shock settings back to my street settings.

Last edited by Adrian g.; 04-03-2020 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0