07-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #44
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
If you don't need the practicality, then the GT4 is probably the best car you can get. Only downsides are price and the tall gearing, which I have experienced in my buddy's Cayman S as well. My guess is that Porsche is doing it to keep these cars from beating up on their big brother (the 911). The Cayman is by design the better sports car, but Porsche needs to keep the 911 king, so they de-tune the engine and make the gearing taller.

As far as the manual vs DCT thing. I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have one of each (VW GTI w/DSG & e46 M3 w/manual) and they are both great in their own way, but only because the transmissions are a perfect match to the engine. If the two transmissions were reversed, I would not nearly enjoy these cars as much as I do. It seems that now a days the cohesiveness of the engine transmission is more critical than ever before.
In general I would agree, that a modern turbo car is better with a DCT, because the boost drop can be avoided (or massively reduced) with quick shifts. However, I have read several reviews where they liked the manual better in the M2. So I guess it still comes down to personal preference.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule and the only way to find out is to drive them both. I am really hoping I can get myself a 991.1 GT3 in the near future, and even though it is N/A plus PDK, I just don't think I will miss the manual on that car, because it is a cohesive package that works. I'm sure the new 991.2 with manual gear box is great, but I bet I would miss that explosion between the up shifts the engine makes with the PDK.

Well said!

991.1 are going down nicely in price, and couldn't cry less about it being a PDK, it's probably epic!
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50