View Single Post
      11-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #62
asdfasdfsadafsafsd
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW

Now I'm curious. About 3 months ago, I got out of my car and I heard a very loud "ping" coming from the rear of my car. It had the definite sound of metal shearing. Subsequently, when I got out of the store and started driving, it sounded like I was dragging a large can of Folger's coffee behind my car. It was loud. I got out expecting to see the exhaust hanging on the ground, but, nothing was visibly amiss. I started driving again, and the sound went away after about a block of driving. BTW - I only have 6,000 miles on it.

I took it to the dealer and they did a cursury look at it and found nothing. Ever since this pining event though, I do occassionally get a strange groaning noise from the rear end, usually when the car is cold and when I have the steering wheel turn hard to the right and at slow speed.

I'm wondering now, because I have also read the threads about the special differential fluid, whether I have broken something or just need the new oil. I'm not a master mechanic, have not done a quick launch, and drive it pretty conservatively. How easy/hard is it to check the bolts? Anybody have an better close ups of the diff case indicating exactly where the bolt is located? I saw the previous poster's picture, but, it doesn't narrow it down enough for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by asdfasdfsadafsafsd; 11-03-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0