03-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #29
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Not really, because shifting makes you concentrate more on driving, and you're less likely to be eating or talking on a cell phone, and woman are less likely to be putting on make up.

Cool videos, I've never seen the second one, that's impressive.
You haven't driven with some of my friends who drive stick and still use handheld cell phones

I'm a big proponent of technology for the sake of technology -- it's rare that I'll look at some innovation and say "total waste of time/energy," since normally something good can come from anything, even it merely served as a lesson of what not to do again in the future.

I think the stick/automatic "debate," if you will, is the driving world's version of the analog record versus digital music "debate." For those who can appreciate the nuances of analog records, they'll claim that their format is better. For the vast majority, digital music is far better -- more commonplace, less expensive, more portable and overall a more sensible choice. Most people want to have a huge selection of music wherever they go -- something which analog records can't really do. Likewise, most people would rather get from A to B easily and safely. All else being equal, how could removing a hand from the wheel to shift be safer than not having to remove a hand to shift?
Appreciate 0