View Single Post
      12-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
•Tires stay inflated. Nitrogen molecules are three times bigger than oxygen, so gas escapes more slowly from the tire. This keeps the tire inflated longer at the correct level.

•Fuel economy improved. Nitrogen expands less than oxygen, so tire pressure doesn't go up and down as tires heat and cool. Underinflated tires reduce gas mileage.

•Tires and wheels last longer. Underinflated tires get hot and wear more quickly. And since there's less moisture inside the tire, rubber rots and steel rims rust more slowly.

•Vehicles handle better. Nitrogen is more common in 18-wheelers than passenger cars. NASCAR and Formula One drivers use nitro for better steering and performance. Aircraft tires are inflated with nitrogen or helium to minimize expansion and contraction from changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure during flight.

Nitrogen is filled even on the ALMS M3 Cars. To those about that say it's BS. I felt the difference in terms of handling. the car has less bounce.
Physics doesn't support your claim
* MW of N2 is 28, MW of O2 is 32 - doubtful that N2 molecule is bigger
* PV = nRT defines expansion of N2 AND AIR/O2 - basically they expand in exact same proportion with change in temperature
* Aircraft use N2 because they want bone dry gas, since water in air would freeze during flight. Also, I seem to remember there is some concern with tire rupture with air being a fire concern, but I could be dreaming that one.

discuss...
Appreciate 0