View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
iguassu
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sp

Angry Xenon headlights on new BMW models

Xenon or Bi-Xenon headlights on new model BMWs (2009?? / 2010)
Being summer, I have not required use of headlights much but recently I noticed that the headlights are very weak compared to my recent X5. I checked further and fuses are OK but note that the innner pair of lights do not work at all.
I checked various vehicles with Xenons at our dealer and note that none have the inner pair working. I must assume that I paid around GBP600 for a fancy decoration on the front of the car ? Dealer sales were unaware of this.!!

( 28th August 2010 )
Thank you for contacting BMW Customer Information. Please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

I can advise that the inner headlamp on your vehicle will only illuminate when the full beam is required, for example when driving down a dark road. The function of this headlamp is to also provide charge to the outer headlamp whilst it is in use.

I trust this is of clarification to your enquiry and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK

( 28th August 2010 )
Having been somewhat surprised by your answer to my query, I have opened up the headlights on my car and checked to see if my concerns were valid.

I can confirm that the inner headlights will not and cannot ever illuminate/work.

What I found was that the outer headlights are as they should be and have the Xenon discharge assembly fitted.

The inner "lights ?? " are dummies and have no bulb, discharge unit or anything else other than the low wattage halogen bulb for the sidelight/parking-light/daytime running light corona-ring.

I can therefore confirm beyond any doubt that the inner headlamps are totally non-functional when Xenon or Bi-Xenon headlamps are installed.
Halogen headlights are very different and function as would be expected.

I must assume that it is the same situation with all the other vehicles we have checked.

I have to admit that I am extremely disappointed.

BTW - my car is Reg No: XXXXXXX VIN No: XXXXXXXif you would like to check the specifications.

I shall be arranging to deliver my car to our local dealer to have various problems addressed and hopefully put right and will advise them of this subject as well so that they will be aware

After further investigation I can advise that the inner headlamp functionality on xenon headlights varies from one vehicle to the next and for the X1 there will be no illumination from the inner headlamp. I apologise that I was incorrect in the previous email, however, I can confirm that the purpose of this headlamp is to conduct and provide charge for the outer headlamp. We would not fit a headlamp in a vehicle if it served no purpose, as this would add additional cost to the vehicle and would be a waste of resources.

I can advise that this issue will not require investigation by the dealership, as the mentioned headlamp is performing as it should be. If you would like additional technical information regarding this matter then the dealership are able to submit a technical enquiry to address any concerns you may have.

Your continued disappointment is acknowledged, however, I trust that this clarifies our position on this matter. If you have any further queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK