Thread: EMT
View Single Post
      06-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I used to be. Got my EMT-"A" in NY when I was in college and then got my EMT-B when I moved back to Maryland. Both times during the course I had to do I think 8 hours of observation time at a local ER.

I understand being nervous when in a medical situation interacting with patients. Don't let it overwhelm you. Make sure you talk to the ER staff. The nurses are key to helping you settle in. The doctors for the most part sort of keep to themselves. Although when I did my rotation in NY, the doctors there were pretty cool. They were throwing cotton balls at each other soaked in iodine. So they looked like little balls of turd. Once the staff gets a comfort level with you, they'll ask you to do some basic stuff such as doing vitals on patients or to watch them while they have to run off to do some things. This is also a chance for you to work on your patient rapport. It'll be the most valuable skill you'll learn. I was highly successful with interacting with patients because I could talk to them....not at them. Remember patients are sometimes more scared than you are.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's nice to see you pursuing this.
Appreciate 1