08-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
Do you have proof its only marketing BS? Actual evidence? Because this whole thread just seems like animosity towards AMG
Do you have proof that it makes the engine better? Actual evidence? Because your whole post just seems like fanboism towards AMG.

All I'm saying is that it makes for a great marketing advantage, as apparently so many people are impressed by it. I'm of the group that couldn't care less how the engine is built: by Martians, elves or Santa's helpers, or some guy named Jochen who has a nice beer belly.

To my mind, the only time where a hand built engine makes sense is if you have a superstar builder who knows things that are not common knowledge and where this and his legendary attention to detail can make and extra 20 horses or whatever. At AMG everything is documented to the Nth degree, variances are actually eliminated whenever possible and like I said in a modern factory facility everything can be traced up to which station and even which spanner was used.

The 6.2 is made in relatively large numbers because it goes into many models (or it did before they became emission obsessed like BMW and switched to a turbo engine lineup). At its production peak, it went into the E, M, C, SL, S and even G class cars. So not really hand built, but rather hand assembled. Big deal...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0