View Single Post
      01-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #232
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I like the e9XM (albeit less than the e46), so I mean the following as matters of degree.

Faster lap-- in a different class. Sooooo... why do we care again?

And, many of the others don't-- it's larger, heavier, uses more gas, uses bigger tires (and uses them up faster), and has worse steering feel.

I never actually tried in my e9X, back when I had it-- do 4 track size tires fit in the back seat?
I don't know about worse steering feel but E9x does use consumables more. But that's the price of more speed. Anything that is faster = more consumable costs. The costs of tracking a GT3 regularly will make the M3 look like a Miata in terms of running costs. Yet I run into dozens of GT3s on track, quite possibly the most popular track day car besides BMWs and S2000s... running cost doesn't deter the owners.

And same applies, FCP Euro makes saves me on some consumables (went through many sets of pricey OEM rotors) and you can run less grippy tires if you want to save on tire costs etc. I got 8 track days from a set of Yokohama AD08R, they lasted so long they heat cycled out before it ran out of tread.

As for gas, the difference between 5mpg for a e92 vs 7mpg for a e46 on track is not that different. Street MPG obviously is different.

And yes, 4 tires fit in the back seat of the E9x. It's a bigger car so more interior and trunk space than a E46. Bonus for E90 owners as having back doors make loading wheels and tires much easier!

Last edited by Z K; 01-12-2023 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0