04-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #71
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post

There is a leaked official B failure rate % from BMW. Don't try to ask me where I got it from, I cannot reveal it. So don't ask, i won't answer.
It's 2-4% including all supercharged and tuned cars (which are evidently more susceptible to engine failure). If you remove SC and tuned cars it's even smaller.
Just to play devils advocate here. Your "very reliable source" couldn't narrow down the number between 2%-4%? Don't you think if you had that information you could say to the decimal place how many engines had blown? 2-4% is a huge range when it comes to defects in cars. Also, what do you think the average mileage is across all M3's? If you include 2012's and 2013's, probably around 30k-40k? At 10k miles/year an 2008 would have around 60k miles, and a 2013 would have 10k, so I think this is a pretty reasonable guess. That fact that as many as 4% of engines with an average of 30k miles have already failed is bad news for those looking to get 100k out of the car. That could mean a failure rate as high as 12% by 90k miles.

I get these are "worst case" numbers but lets not pretend that 2-4% range is fixed. It will only continue to go up as these cars age.
Appreciate 0