04-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #1880
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
Yea stock downpipes are still on, N55 midpipes. I already have an OCC, might look into the oil filter though...and I don't smell the smoke, it seems to be white smoke. I seem to go through about a quart of oil a month
If it has a distinct sweetness to the smell and has a bleach white/blue-ish tinge, it could be coolant, which is an entirely different can of worms. My car’s smoke is extremely temp. dependent, when it gets comfortably into the 50s it isn’t anywhere near as apparent, I’m assuming that a good deal of what I’m seeing is condensation. So see how it looks when the temps get a bit higher, perhaps it’s not as smoky as you think. I didn’t see you already have an OCC, so yea OFHG is probably a good place to look next if problems persist. FWIW the RB PCV is cheap and takes little time to install, maybe you’d want to check into that before going the more involved route. The CV systems on the N54 blow by way more oil than they should, so that could be your problem. I’m still a bit confused as to how that is smoking through the primary cat though, generally speaking you really need to be burning hard or running very rich for smoke to come out of a catted car.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0