View Single Post
      06-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Haha... Yes, I actually do runs to 70 mph on the same stretch of road/same directions (weather/temp/humidity doesn't vary that at this sea-level location in the am), with MDM launches (really flooring from zero). Then to test what I thought I felt, over a period of 4 months, I tried with a little app called dynolicious (supposedly pretty accurate when tested against Vbox and dynos, but differing opinions about) and logged some distance and trap runs to help control for launch variations (measuring really only after 10 mph and post 1 ft rollout). Tried stock to intake, to stock, to intake again. Whether you believe the app works or not, the results to 60 and trap wise seem within range of the car for the type of launch and gains with intake really were seen only after 30 mph. As you said, still lots of variables to still control for, including shifting and the heroic assumption of accuracy of the iPhone's accelerometer, but this quasi-data seemed to corroborate what I felt and doing the back-and-forth swap seemed to produce results within a surprisingly tight range. Ultimately, as you said, best to see more data in more controlled environment to know definitively whether our butt-dynos and the concept of "there's an app for that" are worth anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You sir have a well-calibrated but dyno. : )

The second point (RE: more data) is spot on!
Appreciate 0