06-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #654
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
???? I have both and haven't seen this. The 7D's a great camera in its place (reach limited situations or fast action needing fast AF), but when I can get close enough to the subject I believe I see (a bit) more detail in 5D2 images.

Anyway, this is probably lens dependent. My absolutely sharpest lenses typically get used on only one body (long ones like the 500 only on the 7D, short ones like the 24 and 135 only on the 5D2) so I only have direct comparisons on the 300/4IS. Still, with that lens I think the 5D2 typically produces the superior image - again assuming I'm close enough that I don't need to crop.
I shot both with my 100mm macro lens of the same object, i used the same ISO setting as well as shutter and aperature. I made sure the camera settings were on standard. and set white balance to incandescent because i turned on a bunch of lights in the room to help with detail (also a lot of natural light) A tripod was used as well.

I cropped the 7D to 100% and the 5DmkII at first to 100% just to see how they would look at 100, and the 7D appeared cleaner. I then backed the 5DmkII out so it would be about the same amount of zoom as the 7D and they are fairly comparable, however, the 7D just appears a little sharper overall.

I found with this experiment however, that the 5DmkII has a better white balance and is more true to life colours (this i really hate about the 7D) and was always suspicious of from the first time i shot it.

I found the whole picture clarity issue a little odd untill i started researching it. It all comes down to how the 5D has it's sensor designed. As it is made to be able to handle higher ISO settings, the pixel pitch isn't as strong, and many times higher ISO sensors have more coatings on them to help prepare the light before it hits the sensor. as a result, this can dull images ever so slightly.

and of course, the 5DmkII is now a much older design then the 7D, so the technology has changed a bit.

I love my 5DmkII and it's the first camera i will pick up out of the two, unless i know i'm going to be in situations where i need something fast and acurate for the situations where i can't just stand in one spot and shoot 20 shots to make sure i get the right shot.

Last edited by The1; 06-22-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0