Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Right - I was just following from my original post about the BMW X5 45e, which is still eligible for a $7500 federal tax credit ... which, to my understanding, is based on one's personal income (i.e., what you owe in federal taxes) and so wouldn't be rebateable by BMWFS (I could be very wrong though - taxes never make sense - maybe Run Silent can give us his advice?).

This is key for me, because in my personal case I'm NOT eligible for the state credit but AM eligible for the federal credit if I buy before BMW gets to 200,000 in EV sales.
Though, someone had posted they got a tax rebate check on that federal credit - my supposition is that the check was actually state credit, not the federal credit, but

Further, those federal credits are only good for automakers who've made < 200k eligible vehicles, after that no more federal credit
JMG is correct - one of the best and easiest ways is to allow the dealer to take the tax credit and then utilize a cap cost reduction on the lease to, in effect, pass this to the consumer. This not only eliminates any income limitations to the buyer/lessee, but also alleviates any headaches or paperwork nightmares that the customer has to deal with as it comes to trying to collect money from the government, lol.

Electric cars have come down in price substantially - but with ability to take full advantage of governmental subsidies, in some cases, they have become absolute bargins.