Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
BIG shoutout to Florian. He took 45 minutes out of his day this morning to talk to me on WhatsApp, he really helped me gain an understanding of how all of this works on the street and around a racetrack.

That really says a lot as some of these American diff companies just told me i couldn't afford what they were selling after i told them my budget.

Florian saved me about 800 dollars all said and done over an even lower performing LSD here in the states from a well known company. Won't say who but i'm sure you can use your imagination!

I do have an E46 m3, not e90 anymore, but i can be sure the unit will be coming with me if i ever go back to the E9x platform. Will do a track day review with the new unit once I install it! Thanks again Florian, really hope your US audience takes off, i will do what I can to help.
Florian is a super knowledgable guy. And very friendly. He started me down the path to understanding the world of diffs. When I started talking to him, I knew nothing about diffs.

I don't know anything about the E46 M3 platform, but if the CAN bus on the E46 M3 carries data of each individual wheel speed like it does on the E9x M3, an AIM Solo DL tied into the CAN bus can record the speed info from all 4 wheels individually. In the AIM software, you can overlay charts of the rear wheel speeds and see how their speeds compare. By looking at the wheel speed charts, you can get a sense of how the diff is acting. If you add charts of the gas and brake pedals, then you can really dig in and see how the diff performs based on your inputs. It's really nice to be able to see hard data on how a diff is performing.

I did a stupidly long 3-part write up analyzing diff behavior on my E90 M3 using my AIM Solo DL at the link below. I compared my stock diff with my aftermarket clutch-type LSD unit. It's a realllllly long read, but it has lots of pretty charts! If you want to learn more about diff behavior and what to look for, I think it's got some stuff in there to get you going. When it comes to diffs, people like Florian are rare. There wasn't much info readily available out there specifically regarding the E9x M3. So, I did that write up to put some basic info out there. (I credited Florian at the end of the write up.)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...445&page=8 (post #173, 176 and 177 (page 9))
You did a long post? I'm shocked!

Lol...that's good info. I'd be interested to see wheel speed data.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
AriuSen776.50