View Single Post
      01-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
Just adding my experience. I had my rod bearings changed at 50k miles with be bearings. i actually never redlined the car, I changed oil every 3k miles, spark plugs every 10-15k, never tracked, always use premium gas, drove it like a prius, probably took better care of the car than myself and then I spun a rod 28k later. Now besides being salty, i am left wondering if i hadn't changed my rod bearings would my engine still be good. Did the shop do a bad job or was it just bad luck. Basically what i am saying is, if you have the bearings done, i would strongly recommend you take it to a very competent shop that has a lot of experience with the e9x m3 platform. As for me I am waiting for my warranty to run out on my remanned engine before i have rod bearings done again, and when I have them done I will probably chance waiting until at least 100k, hopefully by then I will have paid off the car and the 25k replacement engine.
Stories like this really suck to hear and, honestly, were the main reason I moved on from my zcp coupe last summer. I could accept that an all time great car like the e9x M3 has a fatal flaw which required a ~$3k fix to solve. But then we started hearing about motors failing after the fix was done, that was the deciding factor for me. Was it bearings that still didn’t get to the root of the problem (clearance), was it an improper install, who knows. When the fix itself started to get called into question, I made my mind up to move on.

I think the point made about finding a shop that has done the job many, many times is the only way I would have moved forward. Even if the shop has BMW master techs, I would search for a shop with the very specific experience of rod bearing swaps on the S65.

I know guys have done the swap in their garages over a weekend will claim it is a tedious but straightforward job but somethig about it must be complicated because this isn’t the first example of “fixed” motors popping.

Just wish their was a real fix to the issue.
Appreciate 1