View Single Post
      01-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you have issues it's probably too late. You need to decide if the low chance of engine failure is worth the cost of a rod bearing replacement to hopefully prevent the failure.

If you're always going to worry about your engine it's probably worth the peace of mind to get bearings in that fix the clearance problem so you can enjoy the car.
Just adding my experience. I had my rod bearings changed at 50k miles with be bearings. i actually never redlined the car, I changed oil every 3k miles, spark plugs every 10-15k, never tracked, always use premium gas, drove it like a prius, probably took better care of the car than myself and then I spun a rod 28k later. Now besides being salty, i am left wondering if i hadn't changed my rod bearings would my engine still be good. Did the shop do a bad job or was it just bad luck. Basically what i am saying is, if you have the bearings done, i would strongly recommend you take it to a very competent shop that has a lot of experience with the e9x m3 platform. As for me I am waiting for my warranty to run out on my remanned engine before i have rod bearings done again, and when I have them done I will probably chance waiting until at least 100k, hopefully by then I will have paid off the car and the 25k replacement engine.
Appreciate 1