10-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #49
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Sweet! I love the 20D. I still have mine, but it's been collecting dust lately.

Thanks. Yeah, the 1D X with the EF 50mm f/1.4, just with natural light. I attended a natural light portraiture workshop yesterday, and this was one of the shots I came up with. Just in time for this contest, since I usually never shoot portraits.
hehe niice! I finally upgraded to a 5D Mark III so mine is now collecting dust too haha! upgrade had to happen since I am going into wedding photography.

yeah portraiture work can be pretty intimidating at times; its a whole other beast =P I got into portraits back in high school cause a friend in my art class said so-and-so took better pictures than me cause they can shoot people. I made it my mission to learn how to shoot people and for the past 6 years I've been doing nothing else but that hahaha! I do miss landscaping at times but I just dont have the time to travel at the moment. But when you find that sweet spot paired with the right lens, you learn so much more about how your glass affects the proportions of the person in front of the camera. It takes time but you can shoot anything if you put enough effort into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I actually shot two versions of this picture. One 2.8 and this one at 5.6. This one is the one that caught my eye. The DOF was very shallow in 2.8 and I was loosing a lot of detail in the hairs. I wanted to get at least the whole head in focus.

I got plenty of shots in 2.8 on my 500px account
haha I know what you mean does your wife mind when you're being a photogeek around the house hahaha I also wondered if I ever had a wife or kids if they'd get annoyed by me taking pictures of them randomly hahaha