View Single Post
      07-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #170
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

The videos are all in HD 1080P with 256KB audio (although I'm not sure what happens to them once hitting YouTube). I am still not totally happy with the rendition. The videos all sound sort of flat, and I still have a lot of trouble capturing the right sound for the interior shots. The exterior is much closer top real than the the interior shots. Oh well.. Maybe I'll try my other mic one day if I get bored.

Here is HD video one of three: Blipping and steady throttle whilst stationary & SPL meter. TURN UP THE SOUND!
http://www.youtube.com/v/NamH3a5ko50&hl=en&fs=1&

Here is the second of three HD videos! TURN UP THE SOUND! FlyBys:
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/FF...l=en&fs=1&hd=1

Here is the last video for now of in-car cruising footage. This is the video I'm not super happy about. Its just not accurate to real life. I tried a few things with the mic placement and settings but it just doesn't pick up the essence of the exhaust. The interesting thing about this Bates Exhaust is how different it sounds inside the car vs outside. Inside the car it sounds very European, reserved, controlled, and like nothing I've heard. My friend commented it sounded a bit like a Carrera GT in the way that it sounds different. I drove around for a few days thinking that this is what everyone else was hearing. Its not till I heard it on the drive-bys that I realized the massive difference. Occasionally I would get a hint of something else brewing back there if I drove closely by a building. Outside the car, it sounds a lot like a raspy, fire-breathing and "get the hell out of my way" loud V8 muscle race car. It reminds me a little of my C5z06 (which is a good thing!).
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Fw...l=en&fs=1&hd=1

Its pretty scary to invest so much time and money into a project without knowing what it will be like in the end. This time, my expectations were far exceeded. I'm super happy with how it turned out:
  • It doesn't drone open or close, so the Helmholtz chamber is still working
  • There is no change from stock sound when the valves are closed
  • When the valves are open it creates a monster; loud, refined with a very unique and interesting sound. Blipping and heel-toe has become intoxicating
  • Exhaust noise level is now matchable to the intake noise. I love intake noise, but it always sort of bugged me that the intake was so much louder than the exhaust.
  • Stock appearance is pretty close - most laymen wouldn't know they aren't looking at a normal M3 exhaust

As far as power goes, I am not sure yet. A dyno will cost me $150 and I want to get some miles on the car before going, maybe next week. Butt dyno tells me that it feels about the same, and this could be placebo, but maybe its slightly faster with the valves open. Anyway, I wasn't going for HP increases with this project, but it certainly doesn't feel like I've lost power, i.e. under 3KRPMs. I think I've retained enough back pressure so that doesn't happen. BTW, it seems to rev up a lot freer (sp?!) with the valves open.

I'd like to give a big thanks to Sam for all of his hard work, time, engineering, and of course, his art (remember: Samuelegallery.com.)

Let me know if you guys have any questions/requests. Thanks for watching and the kind comments so far. This has been a really fun thread to maintain.

Last edited by Subw00er; 07-29-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0