Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
If you had younger kids, I would definitely not have an issue with the e90, but if you are just starting out and plan to have a few kids in the next several years, I would make sure you're doing the right thing with regard to size.

I don't know the laws in FL, but friends of mine from MD are required to use rear facing child seats until the kids become a certain size/age (?), but it basically translates into a couple of years with each kid. I have ridden in their mkVI jetta and Q7 with rear facing seats and it's a vastly different experience.

If you will be taking the kid(s) in your car at all, I would see how a rear facing seat (assuming you need to use one) fits in the back of the car and allows for a safe seating of people in the front. I was about 3 mm away from not being able to fit in the front of my buddy's Jetta and although I couldn't completely stretch out in the Q7, it was much more comfortable to be a passenger in.

Frankly, I would lease a disposable car with a big back seat until you're done with having kids. Maybe an SUV as well. Although I don't/won't have kids, I the rear seat space that can get taken up by certain types of car seats is no joke and something I will not soon forget. Once all of the kids are in a small front facing or booster seat, then I'd be interested in a smaller sports sedan.

Solid advice man...

Honestly - I'm going to test drive an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport today to see if something that large will be "doable". It's essentially 5 Series size.

I'd like to stay away from a truck as my wife is looking at the Q7 or Volvo XC90 (she really wants 3 rows).

Current situation is NO kid...but next year this time...we'll probably have 1 on the way or already keeping us up at night. My lease is up in 10 months but I need to decide fairly soon on what I'm getting.
Honestly you're better off staying away from the m3s. Despite what die hards say the car is a pita with its engineering flaws (bearings and actuators mainly); it's a gamble I personally wouldn't take again. Odds are you end up ok but if you have issues it's an ordeal, think automotive Russian roulette.

There are cars out there that are great that won't give you the headaches.
Appreciate 1