View Single Post
      03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #55
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
After watching the Evo interview with Andreas P., I'm sad. The car looks great, spins to 9000rpm, and is more modern. The PDK is the way of the future, and that's borne out on racetracks in most major pro racing classes. But I think Jethro Bovingdon hit the nail on the head when he asked, "Are you in a sense 'dumbing down' the GT3, seeking a wider audience" and increased sales? Apparently so--Andreas P. equivocates a bit and says, "This will be a better daily driver, more useful every day." That's what the Carrera S is for. Preserve this one for the enthusiasts.

It's very similar to what's happening at BMW M. Andreas P. says, in defense of this new car no longer being based on the proven Metzger GT1 engine, "It is DFI, but we have made it to have an uneven, lumpy idle" to suggest raciness. This is the same as BMW going to a noise-muffled TT V8 for the new M5, and then playing an artificial engine soundtrack through the car's speakers for an immersive, "authentic" racy engine sound. One can only expect the new M3 to be the same.

Rear-wheel steering? Many manufacturers have tried it in the past, with varied success. The GTR comparison is valid. Clearly they are using this because the new car is bigger, and likely felt bigger in a negative way until they added the rear steering.

20" wheels? Marketing BS. They're chasing trends. If this car were designed for enthusiasts who regularly hit the track, Porsche would have stopped at 19" wheels.

Well, hopefully a lot of wealthy people who just like to pose around town will snap this new one up, and then maybe prices for the 997.2 GT3 on the used market will come down to the reach of us mortals. So, I guess I'm happy.
Dead on mate, totally agree

That idle comment is just pure :facepalm:

I will also add that 20 inch wheels is indeed absurd. Performance tire selection in 20 inch sizes is horrible. And I would run at least extreme summers on that car