View Single Post
      02-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #91
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I dunno about that. If you are not in a beginner run group and worried about learn the basic cadence, vision, and the mechanics of a corner, MDM is just going to hold back your learning of car control. I mean sensing the car starting to loose grip, then having to do something about it. It can mask very silly mistakes long before you sense they are going to occur, and the newer systems actually make it seem like it's OK to make silly moves.

Tooooo many times I've been in cars with students in advanced run groups who are just hauling ass and relying on stability control and not even knowing it. Had a guy in a white group (advanced down here in texas) just the other weekend.. in a GTR with 700HP. His driving was a trainwreck. Fast in the straights, and then the car drove itself around the corner - he would brake really really late, too late in fact, then off the gas (totally drop throttle) and try to struggle to the apex, which was always never happening, then the car wrestled with itself until trackout where he then stomped on the gas. He was very surprised when I told him he had a lot of issues, his response was "I'm faster than all these other cars"....true.... It may help with fear, but those guys are really stunting their own growth.

Just slow down, keep street tires on the car, get insurance, and learn how to manage the car. It's not a race (I keep telling myself). Once you learn how to truly manage a car on the edge of traction everywhere on the track, it's a beautiful thing and you will be far far happier and proud of yourself. When I first started learning how to drive, all I wanted to be was the fastest guy out there...didn't really care about improving my skills. I started (E46M3) running r-comps early, put motons and brembos, headers, lap times, tunning.....all in lower run groups. It took me a while to become a good driver with that attitude. The only things that really helped me make big leaps were schroth harnesses, data acquisition, driving on wet tracks, putting an instructor who knew what he was talking about in the right seat, and driving the occasional race car.

Last edited by jml; 02-12-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0