01-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #38
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
When do you expect the new kit for E90-93 M3s to be ready? I'm strongly considering this kit in the beginning of the thread or possibly stop techs.
We plan to start shipping these kits by the end of January.

Quote:
Do you have full floating J hook rotors available 368? I cant remember the size but think this is it. I have an older full floating AP kit (6 pot front/4 pot rear).
My answer below will address this question and BimmerRob's question as well...The strap drive system and the bobbin setup we use on our kits are completely different floating mechanisms in terms of their implementation. They use different disc hats, and different disc iron. Therefore, it's not as easy as just taking an existing hat from a strap drive kit and attaching it to a different disc.

The discs used in a strap drive setup would have a round hole through which the hardware is bolted. The discs in our system have an oblong hole in the iron disc as shown below. The hardware slides along that channel as the iron disc expands.

• Therefore, the only discs that fit the strap drive system are ones that were designed for use with it. Our standard racing discs will not work.
  • If you wanted a disc with the 'racing style' float mechanism, you would also need a completely new disc hat and hardware (which we have no plans to design at this time).
  • If you did have someone design a new hat for a different disc, the hat and disc dimensions would have to be identical to the prior strap drive setup. The offsets on the hat would have to be the same to locate the disc properly in the caliper, and the iron disc diameter and thickness would have to be the same.

So in summary...if you're using a strap-drive system from one of the older AP Racing systems, you are going to have to stick with that setup for the foreseeable future. If you need spare iron discs, your best bet is to contact the company from whom you originally purchased your kit. If you want to move away from the strap drive setup towards the floating setup we use, your best bet would be to sell your current kit on the used market and start over fresh.

Details on the disc/hat fixing system our Essex kits use:

\

Hopefully that is helpful and makes sense!
Appreciate 0