11-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00nFedFilms View Post
So I figured posting this here would be the most ideal since the E90 was my first choice.

I'm new here and signed up simply just to start my obsession for a new car. An E90. LCI with all options. AW on FR. After a few weeks of searching, I came to this conclusion about my possible future ownership.

- I'll have to replace the rod bearings.
- I'll have to replace the TA at some point.

So then I got to thinking. What if the previous owner wasn't as obsessed as me? What if he daily drove the car and just started it up and went. Not a care in the world. That type of care tends to relay to all aspects of the ownership responsibilities. That's when I thought, we'll maybe I should just spend $10-15K more and just get the F80, not having to worry about as much reliability with the car.

I'm actually more into the styling of the F80 tbh. I just like the nostalgia and NA factor of the E90. But in the same breath would rather give that up for the tech inside the F80 body.

Other than the crank hub issue with the F80, is there other known issues to worry about? I will be leaving the vehicle COMPLETELY stock.

Convince me either way. I see a TON of lease transfer offers on F80's and wondered why. Even some giving up their F80 to hunt for an E92.
First off, have you driven either of these 2 vehicles? If not, I think you should, that could go a long ways in helping you decide.

If you need something soon, there's considerably more F80's on the market than E90's. A quick search on Autotrader shows just 37 E90 LCI M3's, and 448 F80 M3's. You have a huge selection of F80's to choose from, while you could be waiting a long time to find a loaded AW/FR E90 M3.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about TA's, they're just another part that will eventually fail and you fix. Rod bearings are different and I understand the apprehension there - if they fail you've got a serious and expensive problem on your hand.
Appreciate 2