Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Dude breathe.

Stop defending this car so hard. I love Porsche too , I own one for a reason, but this car has its faults.

And yes this car has bad lag under 3k RPM

I don't have an issue with the engine but lag is lag.

Although I can't fault a little four cylinder that boosts to 20psi.
My 228i had the same kind of 'lag'. Just don't call it turbo lag. It's not.

It's ECU lag. It's a function of your drive mode. 'Normal' is programmed to be 'soft' for those who can't modulate throttle well, among many other reasons. To get sharper response, you need to be in 'Sport' or better.

Understand that with these kind of engines -- turbos with high and flat torque curves low in the power band (and that includes the M240i and M2, BTW) -- many buyers who aren't enthusiasts simply don't know (and often don't care to want to know) how to modulate the throttle properly. A quick stab at 5mph in first or second gear will send the unwary straight into whatever is in front of them.

Imagine someone in three-inch heels trying to modulate a throttle in a 230i or M240i set to Sport Plus mode. Think that's far-fetched? I guarantee you more owners of those cars wear heels regularly than don't -- and don't really care what the cars are capable of performance-wise.

This is why 'Normal' mode exists. This is why 'lag' is programmed into that mode. Period.

If you rode motorcycles and understood the massive differences in throttle modulation between an inline-4 literbike (think GSX-R) and a V-twin literbike (think Ducati), you'd understand what I'm talking about. The effect is even more pronounced in torque-tuned turbo engines like the 718 has. Am I going to defend that against the uneducated who pigeonhole that as 'turbo lag'? You're damn right I am.
Appreciate 2
sspade2466.00