Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedNconfused View Post
Thanks for this detailed post! I just had a set installed a couple of weeks ago and am trying to bring the front and rear height up a bit to my liking.

I think a preload of 37mm in the rear might be more height than I want. I'm curious, did Ohlins say (or anyone else know) anything about the relationship between the preload height of 37mm and the threaded damper length of 223mm (see page 8)? For example, say I set the preload to 30mm, should the damper length remain at 223mm or is there some relationship where the adjustments should be coordinated?

And when adjusting the height for the front (see page 4), if the height adjuster is moved (copper sleeve held by the pinch bolt), should the spring preload adjuster be moved as well to maintain 158mm between them or should I just keep the preload where it is?

Lastly, when trying to adjust the preload in the rear, the whole collar rotated and distorted the rubber seat where now it's stretched and hanging out on one side but with all the force, there's no simple way to unseat it and reposition it from what I can tell. Did this happen to anyone else?

For the front. You only adjust the bottom collar by the spindles and not touch the spring preload.

For the rear. For every 1 turn of adjustment on the spring collar. I would go 1.5 turn (because the shock mount is further away from the pivot point of the lower control arm) on the shock body to keep the spring preload consistent.

That rubber ring that sits between the car and the collar is pretty poorly designed by Ohlins, the ID of it is much bigger than the "hump that goes into the cars body. So that ring slides around.

BC Rcing and Bilstein provides a much better one but Bilsteim don't sell it separately. The BC racing rubber ring is also much better and you can buy them from BC Racing on their site.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/rubber-cushion
Thank you for this! I was adjusting the height and the Ohlins cushion ended up spinning all the way out. Took your advice and purchased the cushions from BC Racing.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/rubber-cushion-
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50