View Single Post
      02-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Which 2 would you pick: M2 + E92 M3 or R8 + Golf

I've always loved M cars for their "one size fits all". However went to a 991.1 GTS since M went turbo. New turbo's are better daily drivers w good tech, but lacking the special character of the M cars with unique motors.

While the 911 GTS was fantastic, I didnt like to DD drive it. I found myself not wanting to drive in the rain, parking a mile away from other cars, getting grumpy when the kids shoes were dirty, getting dirty looks from people who think I'm a douchebag for driving a P-car

Anyways, I'm going to a 2 car strategy now. 1 for a "DD" then a weekend "special" car that sounds awesome and N/A V8 or V10. I live in Nashville, where the roads are great and the weather is mild. I also work from home 3 days a week, so no traffic driving and 99% "pleasure" drives. This is key since I'm not sitting in rush hour in Chicago type roads / weather for car choices.

My neighbor picked up a brand new Hurracan. I hear it start up, and drive away daily. And it really got me itching for something "exotic" and special. And OHHH the sound of the V10 this isnt a jealously thing but I just want an exotic car!

Ok, so here's my choices on a $90k budget for 2 cars -

Choice A: Keep my 17 M2 manual then add an E92 M3

I really like the M2 as a DD. Manual w Dinan setup is a blast around town, just a fun well balanced manual rear drive bimmer. BUT it lacks any type of sounds or special feeling on backroads driving, or driving events. A bit to clinical like new M cars.

So I had a couple E9x M cars. LOVED the V8 and intake noise. Its intoxicating to me. And you can still pick up a decent low mileage 11 ZCP for around $35k. I love the E92 w Akra and Dinan intake.

Choice B: 14 R8 V8 or 11 R8 V10 then add 15 VW Golf

Start with the Golf. Its a $11k DD. 4 doors, german build quality. I get mileage reimbursement for work trips, so this car will cost next to nothing to own. Its to get around town when I dont drive the R8. Easy decision.

Why R8? I want a car that makes me drool when I see it, would like a super car / exotic , no tracking, comfy for daily driving duties, exotic sounds w exhaust, get to stair at the engine through the rear every time I walk up to it.... need I say more?

R8. Going to test drive a few again. V8 vs. V10. I had an S65 and S85. I have to admit I love the exotic sound of the V10. Bottom line is $80k gets me a 14 v8 with warranty, and newer tech. $80k get a 25k mile 2011 V10. I'll hold out for manual.

I had the 911, and as great as it was, never felt "special" for a 100k car (to me). The R8 looks and feels more like a supercar. No tracking just fun driving around town, and many club drives plus back road jaunts.

So... anybody own an R8 that they can report experiences? I would drive the R8 4 to 6 days a week. I would take it out for fun drives, put 4k miles a year on it. So not just a weekend car or collector.

Plus wifey has a Q7 for weekend family time.

The smart brain says Option A. But the emotional side says Option B R8 V10 for a true exotic car experience....

Which would you pick?

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 02-27-2018 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0