07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #193
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
I spend as much time on Porsche forums as here, and no one is complaining on those forums over any of the Porsche mainstream money makers you mentioned. All the true sports car enthusiasts are too busy enjoying or dreaming of the plethora of focused products offered like the Boxster Spyder, Cayman R, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3, GT3RS, GT3RS 4.0, GT2, GT2RS, etc...

What does BMW have? The M3 is more of a luxury grand tourer than anything listed above, and the M3 GTS is worthless compared to similar priced or even less expensive Porsche products. The 1M project is a decent attempt and had the right ideas, but no one is fooled by the standard issue engine they stuck in it.

Those bread and butter money makers give Porsche the capital to offer such Halo products in order to boost the profile and heritage of the brand. Everyone knows Porsche is making a smaller profit margin on cars like the GT3 and GT2 which utilize the much more expensive to produce GT1 based Metzger engine. Yet they do it anyways for the long term benefit it gives Porsche as a brand, strengthening its reputation as a true performance manufacturer.

Meanwhile BMW utilizes its bread and butter money makers to do what? Put additional earnings into the bottom line for its investors, rather than re-invest in the brand's image and performance credentials. I suppose this is why BMW no longer claims to offer the "ultimate driving machine" when they now prefer the "efficient dynamics" of maximizing short term profit.
///Marketing.
Appreciate 0