View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #51
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
IMHO Don't buy a 2008 //M3. The e9x //M3 cars were a mid-year replacement starting in about the spring of 2008. They were pre-LCI cars with the old iDrive/Nav. But it was the first introduction of the S-65 V8 which made them unreliable. BMW doesnt have a great reputation for designing and building rock solid V-8s. I think the //M3 S-65 V8s were hand built. So the first year saw many bad engines. Your X5 50i is notorious for needing a valve job even with low miles. Also avoid the DCT, since if it fails = $15,000.
A 6 spd MT is alot cheaper to maintain.

I really disagree on this. The 2008 cars are identical mechanically than the 09 and up cars. In many ways it is actually BETTER than the later cars. 08 had soft fabric sunvisors that were later replaced with hard plastic ones. 08 engines also had the more durable copper/lead rod bearings which were later replaced with the more failure prone aluminum ones.

The things you are missing on an 08 car is the updated taillights and the newer i drive. Everything else is identical.

I'm the 2nd owner of my 08. I put a good 50k miles on it since purchasing it from the dealer 7 years ago (car was a late 08 so it started service in 09). It used to be my every day car and now it's my weekend car as I purchased a newer daily driver. I had the Throttle Actuators replaced under warranty. And had the rod bearings and engine mounts replaced myself preventatively. Otherwise just regular fluid changes and the car runs great all the time.

I had it clear bra'd since my purchase - the paint and interior is still pristine and looks like new inside and out. Clear bra means no rock chips. Regular detailing and paint coatings keep the exterior fresh and swirl/scratch free. There's not even wrinkling, creasing of the leather as is common on the novillo leather. Regular leather cleaning and conditioning means the leather is still matte and soft - not hard and shiny like worn leather looks. It is in better condition than most 2011+ cars I've seen.

So don't discount 2008 cars, there are some that are in much better condition than new cars.

Last edited by Z K; 10-15-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50