12-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #112
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCbigM View Post
I autoxed my E90 for the first time on Saturday. I had a blast but definitely have a learning curve coming out of an STR Miata. With time I'll get used to more power and weight.

Power oversteer at will is nice for a change. The biggest thing I need to figure out is the massive understeer I experienced (to the point I had chatter coming from the front tires). I think there were three contributing factors:

1) Old PS2s - I probably ran incorrect pressures too.
2) Dinan bar set to full stiff (I'm thinking this was too stiff for the PS2s, and should hopefully improve with a better tire in a couple months. I may try the middle setting. I also did not disconnect the bar and reconnect once on the ground to remove preload, as not having a 4 post lift or ramps makes this particularly difficult.
3) The final contributing factor is my bad habit of driving too deep into a corner and not giving it up enough early enough. This hurts more than it did in the Miata due to the extra weight. I'm working on it...

Thoughts?

Otherwise I had a blast and can't wait to hit it again soon!
I suspect I'll be experiencing the same learning curve as you describe going from an extremely well set up STR car where you can dial out nearly all understeer to one where it is camber limited. Real tires will help immensely I suspect.