08-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #112
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Driftlo, I have recently picked up a 2016 M2... I noticed you recommended the 75w140 Castrol Syntrax in alot of the M3 variants. Given mines also a clutch style lsd (im guessing) would the castrol syntrax 75w140 be optimal when I do a fluid change in the rear diff?

Was also considering the Motul 75/140 but got lost in the details of FM. Guess that would just be up to driver preference with noise levels?

Friction modifier is there to change the transition between locked and open. If it's a clutch-type LSD, you need FM. The question of "how much" is up for debate. I defer to the OEMs since they tune the car to handle a certain way.

If you think you know the car well enough to adjust it to your tastes, then buy a fluid with no FM and add it in small doses until you get the behavior you want. This is going to be a time-consuming process.

Here's a discussion on it from two years ago that I started on Bob Is The Oil Guy:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../against_FM_in

This post by 440Magnum says it best:

I wouldn't say that it "reduces locking." It makes the jump between the static (holding) and static (slipping) coefficients of friction smaller, so you don't get into a vicious grab/release/grab/release cycle that results in chatter. It shouldn't significantly reduce the actual holding capacity of the LSD clutches enough to really matter, and any loss is more than offset by a more controlled onset of locking.