View Single Post
      11-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Would you mind elaborating?

I've been giving P some thought recently, as a weekend car.
The two biggest issues for the mid engine porsches are improper oiling and the suspension. These are only issues for those of who track regularly.

The engines are primarily designed to be in the 911. For the midship platform they turn them 180 degrees. This has caused oil starvation issues which will eventually be terminal on all hard tracked 06-08 caymans/boxsters. The new DFI engines have addressed this to a certain extent but it remains to be seen as to whether it is solved or simply band aided to get you some more time.

The suspension has a few concerns depending on your use. The biggest for me is the week pick up points that can fail under hard cornering and load. Mine did and porsche refused to cover it. Others have been luckier getting satisfaction from the dealer/pcna.

I considered a 911 when I bought the M3 but decided to wait a couple of years to see how this gen of engine holds up and with the 991 right around the corner, I decided to wait. I may go back. If not the new Elise is looking mighty interesting. My Elise was absolutely bullet proof with nearly 9k in track miles.