View Single Post
      05-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Oil Consumption city vs. highway

I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

I bought my car at 17k miles and drove it across the entire United States (oregon > virginia) ~3500 miles with some scenery in colorado. The oil was about 1/2 when I started and then popped to 1/4 when I arrived. So at that rate, it's like 1 quart of oil consumed say per 12000 miles.

Then had oil changed and the doofuses at the shop did the classic overfill of 9 quarts. I drove on that for about 20 miles thinking it was the finicky oil gauge and would "settle", and then realizing there was an issue just drained to the appropriate level myself.

I've then added another 3000 miles and have gone from full to 1/4 quart empty. Most of this has been city driving. So say 1 quart per 4000 miles.

Is the variation between highway and city in your all experience normal, or did the doofuses at the shop reward me with an early christmas present of oil thirst on a low mileage vehicle? If such is the new life, anything I should be on the lookout for other than having a quart of oil in the backseat to refill here and there.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0